Saturday, June 18, 2011

Princess for a day :-)

This is me as matron of honour for my dearest friend in the world yesterday. It was my 8th time as a bridesmaid (I think i'll do a bridesmaid post in the near future to show off my long bridesmaiding career LOL). It had been raning during the week but yesterday the weather was perfect!! I had been very stressed the day before cause my little 1 year old Elora was very sick was croup and I was fretting about leaving her, especially when the doctor had given her a time frame to improve before hospital was called for!!! I had lots of people praying and she managed to avoid hospital and since I had no intention of leaving her with babysitters my hubby stayed home with the kids so I could enjoy the wedding and not be anxious about my bubba!

This is my Karen, didn't she look absolutely stunning, I LOVED her dress!!!


The happy couple :-)

This is my little sis, Esther.

and my mum and dad as well.

My beautiful partners in crime for the day, Michelle and Alison. It was a pleasure being bridesmaids with thse ladies! :-)


Heading into the reception.

As matron of honour I had to give a speech and very out of nature for me I didn't actually prepare anything, just got up and spoke from the heart and from the feedback I think it went well. It started with laughing and ended with tears, I couldn't help myself!

So in love :-)

The bridal party.

My beloved best friend and I.

and with her new hubby.

Karen has been amazing friend to me. She is the person who has sat and prayed with me through some of the hardest things i've had to walk through. We can talk for hours about anything and everything, we laugh a lot togther too cause we're both super silly. I have watched her journey with Rico right from the start. I was there 5 1/2 years ago, in Indonesia on a mission trip, in a small orphanage house in the middle of a graveyard where they first met. I saw the way he looked at her and knew it was soemthing special. He was there as a mentor to the kids in the house and brought his guitar along to sing worship songs and as he watched Karen worship his face lit up!

When we left Indonesia that time I knew her future was there and it broke my heart knowing I had to let her go. God very clearly placed it on my heart that she would be going back and that Rico was part of her future and so when she was offered a teaching position over there I very tearfully (VERY, VERY tearfully actually) said goodbye knowing it was the start of a new life for her. It was not a straightforward journey for them and there were many bumps along the way when it looked like they would not end up togther, but I knew God had brought them together and it was so amazingly beautiful to watch the unfolding of that yesterday.

As they head back to Indonesia at the end of this week to live as husband and wife I am sad to see her leave the country again, never knowing how long it will be before we can see each other in person again. But I am also excited to see the journey ahead for her and Rico. I said in my speech yesterday that I felt like Lizzie's dad in 'Pride and Prejudice' when he told her that he could not have parted with her to anyone less worthy. I have clearly seen Rico's love for Karen and his heart for God, he genuinely desires to put God first and learn and grow as a disciple of Jesus and as a husband and I know that despite the culture and language challenges they will flourish together. I am thankful for the technology that allows us to frequently keep in touch despite the distance and I am so blessed that God brought Karen into my life!! I was honoured to be a part of her special day yesterday and to stand beside my dearest friend as she looked like the beautiful princess that she is :-)

3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I have never seen such a dress! Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

You look beautiful, too. Love the colors!

It is so hard when friends move far away. I too, am grateful for the technology that we have today (such as blogs) that helps us stay connected.

Heart n Soul said...

Wow...that is an amazing dress!!! ... and I can't believe you have been a bridesmaid that many times. What a special honour!

lusi said...

You looked so beautiful as did your friend.
Special memories :)
Lus x