Saturday, August 6, 2011

I'm loving....

I have noticed a few different blogs I read do regular posts about things they're loving at that point in time. I have deicded to do that but not as a link up with anyone, rather to remind myself on the days when I feel like complaining about things, that there is so much more to smile about than to frown!

So to start with I decided to do things I love about my house and today is the outside, inspired by all the time spent outdoors last week thanks to the most gorgeous winter days ever!!!

I'm starting with this corner of my backyard, I love heaps of things about it! Now we are very blessed that although we are renting, our house belongs to friends of ours who let us do lots of stuff that most renters can't do, like build in a sand pit, redo the gardens etc. This is our kiddy haven out the back. The wooden fort was already here, Brett built the sandpit with some stuff that was leftover from my dad's work, the plastic cubby I got on clearance at Target last year at a ridiculously chap price, and then we have our fairy garden with gorgeous bits and pieces I picked up from all sorts of places and the little table and chairs set that Brett made out of wood pieces left over from a tree his parents had to get cut down.  I love that this area is shady, I love that it has plenty of nature, I love that it inspires imagination!!!


I love these lamp posts. The first one is behind an outdoor bbq area that we don't use since we have a gas one on wheels that comes out of the garage when we need it, but I forsee little girls making many concoctions and mudpies using that area just like I did in a similar space at a friend's place when I was a kid. I also love the huge rosemary bush there, I do nothing to it and it grows and grows, love it! The second lamp post is just plonked in the yard totally random and I love it! Even when I used to come here to visit our friends I loved this lamp post cause it reminds me of Narnia, and other people who come here say that too. (If you're wondering what the cage is there for it's a playpen for our rabbit).
Some of the bits and pieces in our fairy garden. The book says welcome to our garden and the little solar panel means that the ant's bottom lights up at night.

One of our little fairies and mushrooms.


The door and mailbox for the big fairy.
The lantern to light her doorway.

Our big fairy, who is sadly getting a little rusty after almost a year in the garden.

These butterflies are solar lights in different colours and make the tree very pretty at night.

Theese little white dragonfly lights are also solar and light up the fence at night. 

Some of my winchimes, I have a few around the yard, I love hearing them tinkle in a gentle breeze. :-)

He isn't real, but he fools people sometimes!!





Here are some pics of my kids loving these spaces as well!
My girls and my niece in the fairy garden, playing with some of the little fairy statues.

My baby discovering she can actually climb this thing, scarily for mummy she can actually get all the way to the top!

Explorer Bethy in the fort.

Elora in the sand pit.

I also love things about our front yard!

Because the back yard is pretty much all paved except for a couple of small grass patches, our playground area is in the front yard where there is plenty of space and plenty of grass. There is also plenty of sun out here so we generally come out to play mid to late afternoon when the shade from the house is actually over the play equipment. The swings and trampoline we bought the kids last year when they were on sale, but the slippery dip (slide) and play fort are both second hand online finds heaps cheap! I love that the front yard is also fully fenced, we have the gates open for the driveway but when we go out to play I just close them and we are in an escape free space until the girls get older and figure out how to open them!
I also love all this lavender in my front yard. You can smell it walking out the front door, especially after rain and I just adore it. The bees love it too which bothers Jaden and in spring time he tends to do a very quick run from the front door past the plants, but I love it anyway.

I also love that because the front yard is sunny it is great for winter picnics (a bit too hot out here at lunchtime in summer), and it is great for our veggie garden, which at the moment is empty, but we will be replantng in the next couple of weeks and hopefully getting some beautiful sunflowers, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, spring onions, chillis etc all growing beautifully again this year! :-)

Here are some pics of my kids loving this space.
picnic lunch.

Bethy loves the swings, I spend many hours of my week pushing kids on swings, but I think that's time well spent. The funny thing is that while Bethy loves the 'big girl' swing, Abi who will be 5 soon and is going to school next year wanted to go in the baby swing, I guess it was the novelty factor.

Bethy thought Jaden needed a push!

The queen of the castle.

Action shots.


And crazy trampoline hair.

So next time something bugs me or I am inclined to whinge about how cold my outdoor laundry is in winter, remind me how many things I love about my home!! :-)

1 comment:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Your kids have so much to do in that backyard! You are indeed blessed!