Monday, December 19, 2011

The spotlight on the manger!

Christmas is only 5 days away, I'm looking forward to seeing my kids faces when they see what we got them. I'm looking forward to hosting family here for lunch and eating yummy turkey and pudding, i'm enjoying the yummy fruit mince pies I treated myself too from Baker's Delight (they are the absolute bestest ones you can buy!!), but all this frivolity is meaningless if I forget why we are celebrating in the first place.

Christmas seems to bring out the best and the worst in people. I have seen total strangers all pitch in to help a family in need this week, i've also seen people yelling at each other over a parking space. What conerns me more though is what I see in me. I spent this morning being incredibly cranky because the plans we have with some family tonight are totally not at all what we had wanted to do and yet again it seems to be decided to do what is convenient for other family members, never what is easier for us with our little ones. But there is something not quite right on the inside when I am letting a family christmas gathering get me all riled up, I keep thinking back to the Hillsong Christmas Spectacular we attended on Saturday and thinking of the scene where the room was dark and the 1 spotlight was shining on the manger. On a symbol of God's sacrifical love, choosing to come here when we didn't deserve it and I am brought to tears. It doesn't mean I have to be a doormat, but it does mean I can choose to show love and not my own irritation at things not going my way, otherwise next thing I know i'll be yelling at someone over a parking space and I don't want to be that person.

So what is christmas all about then? In this house it's not about santa. I don't think he's an evil red devil or anything like that which people sometimes say, my kids chatted to santa in the shops cause Bethy wanted to talk to 'the man' over there who had lollies (she has no idea who he is lol). But to me it seems to contradict the point of christmas if we are celebrating a gift of unconditional love from God laying in that manger, while telling our children that to get a present they have to be good enough to make it on the nice list. If I had to make it onto a nice list to please God I would've blown it with my tantrum this morning (not to mention thousands of other times this year), and I want to be able to show my children that grace too and to understand that they get gifts at christmas because we love them unconditionally just like God loves us, even when we blow it!

I have been really blest the past 2 weekends to attend christmas events that have really reminded and refocused me on the point of all that goes on in December. We went to carols by candlelight at Hills (indoor and comfy chairs, was great, especially given the very rainy summer we are having) which was like a worship service really, it was just so beautiful singing christmas carols as they were meant to be sung as worship to our God.

 (don't worry they're battery operated candles)

beautiful ballerinas added such a stunning effect in some of the songs


We also attended the Christmas Spectacular that I mentioned before. It was 'A Christmas Carol' and started out the usual way but when they got to the part where the ghost of christmas future is supposed to come the three wise men came instead to lead Scrooge to where hope for the future was, and where they led him was the manger. It was incredibly powerful and as the focus was on the manger they sang praises to God and reminded us all that the only place to find peace and hope is Jesus, the only place to escape the bitterness and disappointment of our past is Jesus. Then of course Scrooge woke up and they had the finale after that singing that love can move mountains, but focusing on God's love not just some sort of magical christmas cheer.

 I was so uplifted by it and also challenged by it, to go sit at the manger with Jesus, knowing that he came there knowing the cross was before him, that is love right there, how can I doubt that love just cause things go wrong in life sometimes. I've had a tough year, but so many in the world have had a much tougher one and I know deep down how blessed I am. If I remember I am surrounded by a love so deep then there is always joy and hope no matter the circumstances and I can move past simple irritations and see the bigger picture. That is why we celebrate chistmas. To thank God for the gift of His Son, to remember that love came down to Earth to be among us even though we didn't deserve it. I know some people don't celebrate christmas at all, I know some people have santa, to be honest I don't really care what other people do, I just know that in this house it's all about a little baby in a manger and all the extra trimmings are just fun ways to remember that message :-)

No comments: