Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wrapping up 2011 part 2: Our school year!

So year 6 is over and so is our home schooling journey. Jaden has been enrolled in a Christian school not too far from home to start high school next year. It was quite a heart wrenching decision at first but we started walking down that path in faith that God would give us peace if it was the right way and we are quite sure that it's the way we should go. I have to admit that home schooling has been quite a challenge and there have been many moments of being completely overwhelmed (i'm sure that news is no surpirse to any other person who homeschools). I feel like none of my children got the best of me this year as I was constantly juggling between trying to deal with nappies, crying, tantrums, fighting girls, and actually getting schoolwork done in a variety of subjects, then setting Jaden up with some independant work in the hopes of actually cooking a meal or doing a puzzle with Bethany only to have Elora wake up from a nap or Jaden be completely confused and need help and I felt like I was always chasing my tail!!

When it came time to start getting plans done for year 7 I knew it was time for a change of course for our family. I have learnt so much this year, possibly even more than Jaden has learnt actually, because I have learnt in a much deeper way the need to full rely on God to get through each moment of the day when I am way past the end of myself, especially during intense times of grief this year when I didn't wanna deal with anybody but still had 3 children here to care for. There have also been a lot of fun times of learning and playing together though and moments of truly enjoying the home schooling journey. I have especially enjoyed watching Bethany wanting to join in with some of Jaden's activities and it's been nice to watch my children all playing together without being rushed off to school in the mornings. In fact going back to morning rushing is the one thing I am not looking forward to at all.

Jaden has made a lot of progress this year not just in learning facts but in developing skills like writing and times tables, areas that used to give him plenty of grief, and he has grown and matured a lot in his attitudes and reactions as well. He is finally making progress in swimming and is  really enjoying scouts, he's gone on 3 camps with scouts so far and is finding some new independance!! So despite the struggles and challenges it's been a very special season for our family and one that helped me appreciate the 3 little blessings in my care even more. Here are a few pics of what school looked like for our family this year.

Trampolining with other home schoolers at Don Bosco.


Going on a home school excursion with a group of others to Muru Mittigar to learn about Aboriginal culture.



Home school hangouts with other local home schoolers at the park.

Excursion with other home schoolers to Australiana village.
 
More Australian history, learning about the gold rush days included a trip out to Bathurst. This is a restored orginal Cobb and Co coach.


At the fossil and mineral museum with my science mad boy!


Of course when home schooling it implies that you actualy spend some time at 'home' and we did that too!
Cooking damper.
Painting.
Making a paper mache bowl.
Buidling many creations with knex and lego.
Making volcanos.


One of Jaden's regular activities is scouts and here he is the night was inducted. He is very proud in his uniform and has earnt 3 badges since joining.

My Happy little vegemites hanging out at playgroup together, the family time this year was very special :-)




As you can see there's been a lot of fun stuff but there was also of course a lot of bookwork which doesn't make for exciting pictures to share but be assured there was plenty of written work to show what we were up to this year as well. It's been a roller coaster journey but one I am glad we embarked on, now it's time to head into a new season of high school for Jaden, pre-school for Bethany 2 days a week and some one on one time with Elora. I am looking forward to being just a mummy and not also a teacher and having some free brain space for a change but will miss the extra time with my boy.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a fabulous year! I look forward to seeing what High School brings!