Monday, April 11, 2011

Politicians, spaceships and trampolines...the end of term 1.

We had a very busy week for the last week of term 1. One of the things we did was to visit the office of our local Federal member, David Bradbury, to hand over the banner about child and maternal health that was created at 'Survive Past Five' back in February and added to over the past few weeks with the handprints of people who couldn't get there on the day. We are apparently going to be in the local paper this week, I might be famous LOL.


In schoolwork Jaden had quite a lot to try and get finished. One of the drawbacks of doing distance ed is that we have deadlines to hand things in, online tests to do by certain dates etc and both Jaden and I have found it a bit overwhelming in that regard. I am looking forward to getting everything organised to register for home schooling and being able to be a lot more flexible and realistic about what Jaden can actually get done in a week. This is part of his science project. It's a model of a tourist spaceship. He had to do a detailed plan for it, build the model, make a brochure and an advertising poster.

The bottle caps are seats, the milk bottles at the back are the rockets, all the boxes are different rooms and have cute little doorways.

This is the elaborate entranceway.

This is the advertising poster.

And as an added extra Jaden decided he needed a space suit, it wasn't part of the project he just wanted to play in it. Not sure many other almost 12 year olds would play in the front yard wearing a nappy box but one of the things I love about Jaden's total lack of social understanding is that he doesn't care what other people think, I could use some of that myself!!!!

We also joined some other home schoolers for an excursion last week to Don Bosco youth centre. I only have action shots of Jaden cause he very much enjoyed the trampolines!

Bethy had fun too and was actually really good at waiting her turn which impressed me!! That afternoon we had some lovely friends come and visit so it was very much a social day and one we all enjoyed!! :-)

And so ends term 1. Yay for holidays and a fresh start in term 2 :-)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awesome...love the project and I totally agree with you about not caring what others think, my children are the same. They have no peers to pressure them etc. Enjoy your break! xxx